Sunday, November 2, 2014

Floral Headband

A lot of the DIYs I do stem directly from something that I'd like to have but- A.) don't want to pay a ton of money for or B.) it's not exactly what I'm looking for. I'm a problem solver so I typically figure out a way to do it myself. And that is how this little project came along.
I had been looking for a flower headband/crown for months and finally decided to make one (or six). It's more fun that way!

These are super easy. A lot of the supplies you probably already have.
I got the flowers and headbands at the Dollar Store.

You're going to need:
- Elastic headbands
- Fake flowers
- Hot glue gun
- Scissors or wire cutters
- Gem stones (optional)
-Something like a basket to wrap the headband around

Step 1.

Put the elastic headband around a basket or a bowl to stretch it out to size. This is to make sure the flowers aren't stretched out and in a weird location once you put the finished headband on.

Step 2.

Cut off the stems to make sure the flowers will lay flat against the headband.

Step 3.

Start gluing! Add as many or as few as your heart desires.

Step 4.

I added a few gems to a couple of my headbands. I like a little subtle sparkle sometimes.

And that's it. You're done!

Here are some more I made. I may have gone a little headband crazy...

The longer one with the white ribbon is more a crown. It would be so pretty in the summertime with some wavy hair!

It's a fun way to brighten up your day!
They would also make really cute gifts.

As always, have fun with it!

Monday, June 2, 2014

Miami Dolphins Wreath

Wow, it's been a long time since our last post! Sorry, we suck.
We will try our best this summer to make up for our lack of posting! 

As my first post back from a long hiatus, I'm going to post what is possibly one of my favorite things that I have made. 

It looks incredible and is totally representative of the person for whom I made it. 
Sorry for the low picture quality, these are the best ones that I have. 

Yeah, that's right, the Miami Dolphins have reverted back into their childhood forms. 

This project all started when my ex moved into a condo with a ceramic cherub wreath hanging in the back patio. As a joke, his dad sad "no matter what happens, you have to keep that wreath."
So as a Christmas present one year, I made the wreath something that he would want to keep, no matter what happens. 

I started by cleaning the wreath and priming it with white paint. 

Next, I went through and started painting all of the leaves Miami Dolphins aqua blue and orange. 

When the leaves were completed, I got the names and numbers for each player that he wanted on a cherub. 
I spent a lot of time on Google looking at pictures of them. 
Once I got a good idea of what they looked like and labelled which player would be which, I started painting the skin and hair for each individual player. 

After I had painted their hair and bodies, it was time to add names and numbers to the jerseys. 

#13 - Dan Marino

#19 - Brandon Marshall

#23 - Ronnie Brown

#99 - Jason Taylor

#34 - Ricky Williams 

And coach Don Shula.

When I finally finished painting all of the players (which took forever), I sprayed the whole wreath with a clear protective top layer and it was finally finished!

I wish I had some better quality photos of this thing, because these don't really showcase how amazing it actually is. 

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Custom Coasters - Rock Chalk

I know it's been a while, but I finally have some time to post! 

This Christmas, I made some custom coasters for my boyfriend's parents. 

It's a pretty easy project, the hardest part is that you have to get it done early so that they are completely dry before you give them as a gift. 

-Square tiles (4" x 4") 
-Spray enamel (I used Rustoleum clear glaze) 

Step 1: 
Cut the cork to fit on the back of the coasters. The cork that I used was already sticky, so I didn't need to glue it! 

Here's a picture of the cork- I found it at Home Depot with the shelf liner and contact paper. 

Step 2:
Print and cut out the pictures that you want to put on the coasters. 

Step 3:
Use a glue stick to lightly stick the pictures to the tiles. Make sure they are lying flat on the tile and they don't have any edges sticking up, otherwise they won't look as clean. 

 Step 4: 
Spray the coasters with a thick coat of spray enamel. Let dry. Repeat. And then repeat again. And again. 

I think I sprayed them 4 or 5 times of the course of two days. 

Make sure that you don't let any hairs or pieces of dust get stuck in the wet enamel- if you do, use a toothpick to get it out right away! 

Step 5: 
Let them dry for a very, very, very long time. 

I finished mine on a Tuesday and on Friday I had to wrap them in tissue paper and bring them across the country. They felt dry to the touch, but the acrylic hadn't completely set. When we opened them up again, they had imprints from the tissue paper in the acrylic. I would recommend giving them AT LEAST a week to dry. 

And the finished product... 

You can make a coaster like this using pretty much anything! 

I have used paint chips on a set (which we still use after almost two years!) and I made a set using dried flowers from a wedding bouquet. 

These Jayhawk coasters turned out pretty well though!